Although every case is notable at our law firm, the following cases have set records for monetary awards, established legal precedents or affected public policy in areas as varied as airplane crashes, workplace injuries, defective products, birth injuries, car crashes, medical malpractice and railroad accidents.
Record-Setting Cases -
- $75 million global settlement for the 10 victims injured or killed by the scaffolding that collapsed and fell from the John Hancock Building in Chicago
- $25.2 million settlement – the largest in Illinois for the death of a passenger in an aviation wrongful death case. The previous record of $25 million was also set by our law firm.
- $22 million verdict for a woman injured in a car crash. It is the largest jury award ever upheld by the Illinois Supreme Court.
- $35 million settlement for a woman injured in a car collision is the highest individual settlement in Illinois personal injury history.
- $22 million jury verdict for the wrongful death of a mother who died shortly after giving birth in a medical malpractice case. It is the largest verdict ever for the death of a woman in Cook County, Illinois.
- $29.6 million jury verdict for a seriously injured Chicago Metra train derailment passenger; it is the largest verdict in Illinois for an individual injured in a mass transit crash.
- $4 million settlement for a woman injured when she fell from a porch. It is the highest Illinois settlement for an injury from a defective porch structure.
- $7 million settlement for an 81 year-old woman injured when an automatic door at a national retailer malfunctioned and knocked her down. It is the largest settlement in Cook County, Illinois, for a brain injury to a woman over the age of 60.
- $9.5 million jury verdict for the wrongful death of Blackhawk player Keith Magnuson who was killed in a car crash. It was the largest verdict for a personal injury case in St. Louis County, Missouri.
- $6 million jury verdict for the wrongful death of a mother and wife, the largest ever in Lake County, Illinois, for the death of a woman.
- $6.6 million jury verdict for the surviving family of a mother killed and a father injured in a car crash in Nebraska. It was the largest Federal Court verdict in a civil case in Omaha, Nebraska.
- $16.6 million jury verdict for a 7-year-old girl who suffered brain damage at birth. It is a record verdict for an obstetric medical malpractice case in Cook County, Illinois.
- $690,000.00 settlement, the largest in Will County history for radial nerve damage, on behalf of a farmer who lost mobility in his right hand and wrist after having surgery.
- $2.6 million settlement for the wrongful death of an 8 month-old killed when the portable crib he was in collapsed on him. It is the highest settlement amount in Cook County, Illinois, for the death of a child, under one year of age, in a product liability case.
- $2.8 million settlement on behalf of a man injured when he fell while walking in a hospital. It is the largest public facility slip and fall settlement in the history of Kankakee County, Illinois.
- $5.25 million settlement for a 74 year-old women who fell in a J.C. Penney store. It was the largest slip and fall settlement in Illinois.
- $7.9 million jury verdict for an 8 year-old boy who became blind due to the failure of his pediatrician to diagnosis retina abnormalities. It is the highest medical malpractice settlement in Cook County, Illinois, resulting in blindness to a child.